GAVILAN COLLEGE HIGH STEP PROGRAM
Gavilan College High Step classes are college classes that are offered on a high school campus. High school students who have a high school GPA of at least 2.0 are eligible to take these 16-week courses and earn college credits that are transferable to most colleges and universities. There is no cost to the student to take these courses and the registration fees are waived. Textbooks will be loaned to students through our library.
- Course: PSYC/CD 2: Early Childhood Development
- College Credits: 3.0, Transferable CSU D, GAV D2, GAV E2, IGETC 4I
- Location: Ann Sobrato High School
- Dates: Every Thursday, January 31 – May 23, 2019
- Time: 3:30-6:40 PM
Course Description: This course examines typical and atypical development within the psychosocial, cognitive, and physical domains from conception through the preschool years. Upon completion of this course, student will be able to evaluate theories and research of child development and effectively apply and communicate their understanding through observation and evaluation.
SPACE IS LIMITED! Register now!
How to apply:
- All students must submit a High School Contract to Mrs. Atkins in the Sobrato Counseling Office (we have copies, or print one here).
- Students new to Gavilan College must complete an online application at through CCC Apply. See Mrs. Atkins for assistance.
High Step Program Guidelines:
- Appropriate student behavior is expected.
- Attendance to all classes is expected unless the instructor is provided a valid excuse.
- Students should plan to spend approximately 6 hours per week outside of class completing assignments, reading the textbook, and/or studying for exams.
- The grade received in the High Step course will be recorded on a Gavilan transcript, which is a permanent record. It will not affect the high school transcript.
- Students are expected to communicate with their Gavilan instructor if they have questions or concerns.
- Students are expected to check email at least once per week.
- Refer to the class syllabus in regards to absence policy, code of conduct, important dates, learning outcomes, etc.
We look forward to continuing this successful collaboration between Ann Sobrato High School and Gavilan College to support high school students in achieving their academic goals!