Ann Sobrato High School is a comprehensive college preparatory high school in the Morgan Hill Unified School District, serving students in grades 9-12. Sobrato is located in the fast growing suburban area that has managed to retain an aura of a small town. Students come from the cities of Morgan Hill and San Jose as well as the unincorporated areas of San Martin and Coyote Valley. The student population reflects the rich ethnic and social economic diversity of the population living in the area.
Ann Sobrato High School has earned the coveted six-year accreditation by the Western Association of Colleges and Universities. This accreditation was based upon a self-study where staff identifies areas of strength and areas of concern. This self-study confirmed the staff’s commitment to developing a personalized learning environment that enables all students to meet or exceed state standards.
In the Spring of 2015, Ann Sobrato High School earned the California State Gold Ribbon School Award. The Gold Ribbon Award recognizes California schools that have made gains in implementing the academic content and performance standards adopted by the State Board of Education. These include, the California Standards for English Language Arts and Mathematics, California English Language Development Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards. Ann Sobrato High School was recognized for its exemplary strengths in its Advisory program and Careeer Technical Education Program.
Ann Sobrato (1915-2000)
Ann Sobrato High School is named after Ann Sobrato. The Sobrato Family donated 120 acres of land where the School is built in memory of Ann Sobrato’s dedication to children in this community. The Land was valued at over $9 million when it was donated to the district to make the high school possible. In September of 2004 the Morgan Hill School district opened Ann Sobrato High School supporting Grades 9 and 10. By the end of August 2006 the school was fully staffed and supported all grades 9-12 .
Mrs. Sobrato started investing in real estate shortly after her husband died in 1952. He operated a very successful restaurant in San Francisco called John’s Rendezvous that was sold and she used the $75,000 in sale proceeds to start investing in land in San Mateo & Santa Clara counties. She built one of the first tilt up style buildings in Redwood City in 1955. Her son John followed in her footsteps by entering the real estate business while attending Santa Clara University in 1958. He sold residential real estate three days a week and attended Santa Clara three days a week. In the 60s she started a partnership to develop buildings for the emerging high tech industry long before the area was known as Silicon Valley. She purchased the land where the high school is located around 1980.
Copyright © 2019 | MH Magazine WordPress Theme by MH Themes