Ann Sobrato High School
Week of October 15, 2018
Dates to Remember
SENIORS: Cap & Gown Orders
On Monday, October 29, a representative from Herff Jones will visit 12th grade Civics & Econ classes to provide information about cap and gown orders.
On Thursday/Friday, November 1-2, orders will be collected in the ASB Office during Brunch and Lunch.
Senior Yearbook Photos *LAST CALL!*
The deadline for senior photos is Thursday, November 1! Call Now & Forever Studios now to schedule your appointment. Click here for more info.
Message from Transportation Department
As of Wednesday, October 17, 2018, any student without a bus pass will not be allowed on the school buses. If students do not have a bus pass or an application with payment in by Wednesday, October 17th, the Transportation Department will direct them to go to the school office in the afternoon to call their parents for a ride home. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact 408-201-6320.
Message from Director of Student Nutrition
As a Chef who spent many years working for Bon Appetite at Google, food is close to my heart. Lots of new and updated offerings this year, including Baja Fish Tacos, Texas Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Fresh Baked Muffins, Zucchini Breakfast Breads, and Carnitas Tacos with Chipotle Slaw, just to name a few. Our Breakfast Menu has been remodeled as well, reflecting how we enjoy breakfasts. Also back by popular demand, every Thursday is a Wild Mike’s Deep Dish Pizza day. I love food questions, so reach out! JochnerM@mhusd.org
If your student is planning to participate in a Winter sport, be sure to get their sports physical and complete the online registration before the end of the month. Winter sports tryouts begin on Monday, October 29th for Boys and Girls Basketball and for Wrestling. You must register in advance and upload the completed physical. Questions? Contact Athletic Director Lawrence Crawford (408-201-6240 or CrawfordL@mhusd.org).
Grad Night *HELP NEEDED!*
Grad Night is an opportunity for the graduating class to celebrate one last time together in a fun and safe manner. This event is planned and chaperoned by parents. Unfortunately, due to decreasing parent participation on the Grad Night Committee and not enough senior tickets purchased by the deadline, the trip was cancelled for the Class of 2018. We have a reservation on hold for June 7, 2019 at Boomers if there is an interest from parents to bring this event back! Please contact secretary Mitzi Clark (408-201-6201 or ClarkM@mhusd.org) to express interest.
Enrichment Opportunity for Students *LAST CALL!*
SEMI High Tech U is a 3-day program (October 23-25) focused on teaching the fundamentals of electronics, statistics, solar technology, semiconductor manufacturing, microchip logic, and more. Organizers are seeking Bay Area students who have the potential to do well in STEM-related careers and enjoy problem solving and working in teams. Check out video highlights from last year – you may recognize a few familiar Sobrato faces! Click here for the flyer.
AP Exams – NEW Deadlines
The following information is for the families of students that are CURRENTLY in AP courses:
- The AP exams that will be administered May 6-17, 2019 are now on sale for $94 per exam. All exams will be ordered and purchased at the following link:
- Deadline: The registration and payment process will be open until Friday, November 16, 2018 at 4:00pm. College Board is requiring us to move to Fall deadlines for purchasing exams. Their new deadlines are as a result of their research that indicates that student performance on the exams increases when the commitment to take the exam is made early in the class.
- Fee Subsidies: All students who are currently enrolled in an AP class are expected to take the exam. If there is a financial hardship, please have your child see Sue Baynes in the ASB Office or email her at email@example.com prior to November 15th.
- Students who qualify for the federal Free or Reduced Lunch program will pay a discounted cost ($15 per exam).
- We will once again be offering “Buy Three, Get the Rest Free” for our families who have students enrolled in more than 3 AP courses. For help with this process, you can also contact Sue Baynes.
- Test Prep: There are test prep materials available on Naviance for many of the AP exams. Click here to locate this valuable FREE resource!
- Special Needs: If your child has a current IEP or 504 Plan and needs accommodations for the AP exams, please contact your child’s case manager or Assistant Principal Theresa Sage for assistance. Accommodations must be submitted and approved by College Board prior to the exam dates.
For more information and a quick link to our registration site, please see our website at sobrato.mhusd.org or contact Theresa Sage at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-201-6202.
ASB (Associated Student Body)
Want to learn more about student events and deadlines? Follow us on Instagram! @annsobratoasb
Career, College, and Counseling Center News
- Ann Sobrato Common Scholarship Applications have been released! The deadline to submit these applications is November 16, 2018 at 12:00PM. Students may email AtkinsE@mhusd.org for a copy, visit their Naviance account, or see our scholarship coordinator for a copy of the application. This application must be submitted if your student would like to be considered for local scholarships during the school year.
- 11th Grade Parent Naviance Night – Thursday, November 1 at 6:00PM in the Library. Bring a laptop (if you have one), learn to navigate Naviance with your student and easily support their College and Career plans! This information will also help your student choose a good list of colleges and learn how to get the most out of Naviance test prep to improve their SAT, ACT and AP scores.
- 9th & 10th Grade Parent Naviance Night – Monday, November 5 at 6:00PM in the Library. Sobrato counselors will host a Naviance information night for freshmen and sophomores and their families. You will learn how to explore careers, colleges, majors and how to use the test prep features.
- ACT Exam – October 27; If you are registered for this exam, continue studying and preparing. Visit the ACT web site for practice tests and questions.
- Scholarship List; updated every 7 – 10 days! If you want more CASH for college, click here, check Naviance, or schedule an appointment with our scholarship coordinator. Senior students, Sobrato celebrates all awards and scholarships at our annual Senior Award Ceremony during the last week of May. Receiving a scholarship results in an invitation to this auspicious event.
Home & School Club News
- Families and businesses with money to donate at the end of the year may consider making a contribution to your Home & School Club, a 501(c)3 non profit. Your donations are 100% tax deductible, checks can be made payable to ASHS Home & School Club, and can be left in the front office during regular school hours.
- Thanks to the generous families who keep sending cold and flu supplies; tissues, wipes, and hand sanitizer- we now have supplies on hand when needed. Thank you! If you would still like to make a donation, items can be dropped off anytime during school hours in the front office. Thanks again!
- Please join us for our next meeting on Thursday, October 18 at 8:15AM in the front office conference room. Hope to see you there!
- Thank you to the Hogg and Harman families for their very generous monetary donations to the Home and School Club!
Sobrato-Murphy Music Association News
Thank you for your support in the following fundraisers:
- Gizdich Pie Sales – All Sobrato and Murphy music students are selling scrumptious berry, apple and pumpkin pies now through October 22nd. Delivered frozen and in time for Thanksgiving!
- Poinsettia Sales – Lush plants for your home, office, gifts. Sales begin Nov. 5th
- 2nd Annual Holiday Boutique – December 15 & 16th 10am-4pm, Sobrato Gymnasium
- March 9th – SAVE THE DATE (& your pennies!) Mattress Fundraiser, Martin Murphy Gym
Upcoming Marching Band Events:
- October 27th, Band Senior Day at home football game against Prospect Panthers. Parents, guardians & distinguished guests please arrive to field at 12pm.
- November 10th, James Logan Invitational – James Logan High School, 1800 H Street, Union City.
- November 16-18th, Western Band Association Championships – Bakersfield High School, 1241 G Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301
FFA & Sobrato Ag Boosters News
November 28th will be our next Drive Thru BBQ! Pre-sale tickets will be out next week until November 14th. Email Ms. Lima (LimaS@mhusd.org) to order your ticket OR buy it from an FFA member! Thank you for your support.
Sobrato Athletics Boosters News
Our next meeting is Monday, October 15th at 7 p.m. in the Library.
This week’s Sports Schedule.
Purchase a Bulldog Athletic Card and save on Gate Fees!
This year, the Athletic Department is selling annual, season and sport only game card. Boosters will no longer be selling “Booster Passes,” but you can still receive a discount on gate fees and financially support your team by purchasing a Bulldog Athletic Card. For more details click here.
Upcoming Parent/Community Meetings
- School Site Council – Monday, October 15 at 6:00pm in Office Conference Room
- Athletic Boosters – Monday, October 15 at 7:00pm in Library
- ELAC – Tuesday, October 16 at 6:00pm in Room E108
- Sobrato Music Association – Tuesday, October 16 at 7:00pm in Band Room
- Home & School Club – Thursday, October 18 at 8:15am in Office Conference Room
- Ag Boosters – Wednesday, November 14 at 6:00pm in Room E114
Be sure to check the Sobrato website and calendar for other upcoming events!
To have information published in the E-newsletter, send an email to AtkinsE@mhusd.org