MHUSD 21-22 FAQs - IMPORTANT, please read this!

 Morgan Hill Unified School District

2021-2022 Academic School Year 

Frequently Asked Questions


Based on the most recent CDPH guidelines, Morgan Hill Unified School District is welcoming students back in-person on August 12th for full day, five days a week instruction. In this document you will find frequently asked questions in the areas of health and safety, Independent Study (AB 130), and new legal updates for retention, grading, and graduation (AB 104).


Health and Safety 


Will students and staff be required to wear masks? 

Masks will be required indoors for staff and students regardless of vaccination status. Masks should be close fitting, covering the entire nose, mouth and chin. Loose-fitting bandanas, gaiters, and other single-ply fabrics are not acceptable. Masks are recommended for outdoors, but remain optional. Mask requirements will be incorporated into the Positive Behavioral Interventions System (PBIS) and required as part of school culture. 


Are there exemptions to wearing a mask?

Persons exempted from wearing a face covering due to a medical or mental health condition or disability must wear a non-restrictive alternative, such as a face shield with a drape on the bottom edge while indoors.


What health and safety measures will be implemented?

Hand washing/hand sanitizing stations are installed on every campus. Hand sanitizer, disinfecting spray, and/or cleaning sprays are available in every room and common areas. Clear barriers are installed in front offices and high traffic areas. In addition we will have daily cleaning and sanitizing of bathrooms and increased signage regarding hand washing and mask wearing.  Replacement masks are available for students and staff, as needed.


Will there be social/physical distancing of students on campus?

Per CDPH, there is no minimum physical distancing requirement consistent with the CDC K-12 School Guidance. While indoors, the teacher and students will optimize classroom space. The use of outdoor spaces will be encouraged.


What ventilation protocols will be in place? 

Air filter systems have been upgraded to the highest grade the system will allow at each site and filters will be changed quarterly. Air filtration system will begin circulating fresh air into the building at least one hour prior to the start of school each day and will run during school hours.  Windows and doors will be opened when possible for increased ventilation.


If a child comes to school with a runny nose or another potential COVID-19 symptom other than fever, will they be sent home? 

Staff and students with symptoms such as a runny nose will be asked to go home and remain home until at least 24 hours have passed without the symptom (if fever, without the use of fever-reducing medication), and/or a healthcare provider has confirmed an alternative diagnosis (ie., allergies), a chronic underlying condition, or a negative COVID-19 test. Each school has an identified isolation area where students may wait for pick-up.


Will COVID-19 testing be available for students and staff?

All sites will offer voluntary weekly testing for staff and, as needed, for students.


What happens to students who are sent home due to COVID-19?

Students will be assigned work to be completed at home during their absence.


Will there be a daily “health check” at school?

Parents, students, and staff will self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and stay home if they are sick. 


Will students’ schedules be similar to pre-COVID?

The schools’ bell schedules and student rotations will mirror pre COVID-19 conditions. 


Will notices be sent regarding COVID-19 exposures to families and staff?

The District’s COVID-19 Designees will be responsible for contact tracing with Santa Clara County Public Health and will advise on isolation or quarantine measures. In the event of exposure in a universal mask-wearing setting, those who are fully vaccinated and asymptomatic may continue to attend school or work in-person, self-monitoring for symptoms. In this case, only the student or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19 will be sent home. 


In an indoor setting where masks are being worn, unvaccinated students or staff who are close contacts (15 minutes within 0-6 feet over a 24 hour period) may continue to attend school in-person if they are asymptomatic, continue to wear their mask as required, test twice weekly for COVID-19 during the 10 day period following exposure, and quarantine for all extracurricular activities at school, including sports and activities within the community setting. 


In case of exposure among unvaccinated and unmasked close contacts, asymptomatic staff and students will quarantine for 10 days but may discontinue after day 7 with a negative COVID-19 test. If symptoms develop, individuals must stay home and get tested, following protocols based on results of the test.


What is the meal distribution process?

Students will be provided breakfast and lunch at no cost to our families. Breakfast will be distributed in bags; lunch will be pre-plated items. Seating outdoors is encouraged. When eating indoors, students will be encouraged to maximize physical distancing since masks cannot be used. Food distribution for students participating in Independent Study will be provided in a subsequent update.


What are the safety protocols for students riding the bus? 

Students and drivers will wear masks on the bus. Windows will be open to maximize ventilation. While waiting at the bus stop outdoors, masks are recommended, but optional.


Will the district allow volunteers on campus? 

Visitors are encouraged to call or email, whenever possible, to minimize interactions. All offices across the District will be open, and visitors will wear face masks upon entering. A process for school volunteers is under review with an update by October 1st. 


Independent Study (AB 130)


What is Independent Study?

Independent study allows students whose health would be at risk for in-person instruction to learn at home instead of returning to school in-person. 


What grade levels can enroll in Independent Study? How do they enroll?

All grades, TK through grade 12, may request to enroll in Independent Study by calling their school office.


Is Independent Study the same at all grades? 

Morgan Hill will have three different Independent Study programs: TK Independent Study students will receive their instruction from the Santa Clara County Office of Education; students in grades K-5 who enroll in Independent Study will receive work and daily instruction through a contracted MHUSD vendor with an assigned teacher and computer-based curriculum; students in grades 6-12 who enroll in Independent Study will have an assigned MHUSD case manager who monitors student progress on completed online curriculum. 


Can parents/guardians of students select Independent Study or In-Person instruction at any time? 

A student in Independent Study whose parent/guardian requests to return to in-person learning will be transferred within 5 days. The in-person school placement will be based on space availability. An in-person student whose parent/guardian requests Independent Study will also be transferred within 5 days. Parents and students are required to sign an Independent Study agreement.


Can students be moved into or out of Independent Study by the school? 

Independent Study students who do not fulfill their Independent Study Agreements may be moved to in-person learning. Students who are attending in-person may be moved to Independent Study if they are not able to follow the health and safety guideline requirements such as wearing a mask indoors. In either program, students needing additional support will receive intervention for academics, counseling or truancy, as needed.


What curriculum will be used for Independent Study?

TK students will receive curriculum through the Santa Clara County Office of Education. K-5 teachers will use the Calvert curriculum. Students in grades 6-12 will use the Edmentum courseware. 


What is the schedule for Independent Study? 

The TK schedule will be determined by the Santa Clara County Office of Education. The K-5 schedule will include daily live instruction in all core subjects. Each subject will include 15 minutes of direct instruction followed by independent or guided practice. The school hours are similar to a traditional school day. The 6-12 academic program is completed independently and the hours will vary; once a week, students will attend a synchronous session during regular school hours.


What do I do if my child needs internet access for Independent Study?

Students who need a hotspot or Chromebook will contact their home school upon signing the Independent Study agreement. 


Additional Independent Study information can be found here:  FAQ’s (SCCOE) and FAQ’s from CDE


Retention, Grading, and Graduation (AB 104)


What is Assembly Bill 104? 

AB 104 is a new legislation recently signed into law that includes the following provisions and rights: 

1. Parents/Guardians (Educational Rights Holder) of students who were enrolled in grades 8-12 during the 2020-21 school year may request to have a letter grade earned for a course changed to a Pass or No Pass on the student's transcript. 

2. Any student who was enrolled in 11th or 12th grade during the 2020-21 school year and who is not on track to graduate in four years is exempt from local district graduation requirements that are beyond the state-minimum graduation credits and course requirements. 

3. Parents/Guardians may request a retention conference if their child received a D, F or No Pass grade in half or more of their classes. 


How does a parent/guardian request a conference to discuss possible retention?

Parents wanting to consult on retention may contact the Educational Services Department, 408-201-6070 or email

How does a parent/guardian or student request a grade change to Pass / No Pass? 

MHUSD will post an application to request a grade change on the district website and also email the application to all families and students by Friday, July 30th. 


Which courses qualify for the grade changes to Pass / No Pass? 

All courses taken during the 2020-21 school year qualify for the grade change to Pass / No Pass. 


Is there a deadline for submitting an application for grade change? 

Per the legislation, districts may not accept requests for a grade change after 15 calendar days from the date the application is posted on our website. The deadline has been determined by Santa Clara County Office of Education as August 15, 2021. 


What happens once the application is submitted to the district? 

Once the application is received by MHUSD, the District has 15 days to make the change on the student’s transcript and notify the family. Please note: Students who are 18 or older may submit a grade change to Pass/No Pass independently from their parent/guardian. 


How does the Pass / No Pass impact Grade Point Average GPA? 

As per AB 104, the change cannot negatively impact a student's GPA. When an “F” is converted to a “No Pass,” the zero points are no longer factored into the GPA. Changing a “D” or even a “C” letter grade to a “Pass” may increase a student’s GPA, depending on the GPA the student had prior to the grade change. No grade changes will be made that lower a student’s GPA. 


What is the impact of the Pass / No Pass to admissions to a college or university?

As per AB 104, California State Universities (CSUs) will accept, for admission purposes, and without prejudice, a transcript with a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for any coursework taken during the 2020-21 school year. However, this is not the case for all universities. UC colleges and private universities are encouraged, but not required, to notify the CDE over the next two weeks about whether they will accept Pass/No Pass marks for purposes of admission. MHUSD will share this list of universities as part of the information sent to families. 


Who is eligible to graduate under the AB 104 State minimum graduation requirements? 

Any student who was enrolled in 11th or 12th grade during the 2020-21 school year and who is not on track to graduate in four years is exempt from MHUSD’s graduation requirements that are beyond the state-minimum graduation credit and course requirements and can earn a diploma by completing the state-minimum graduation requirements of 130 credits. 


If my student completes the State minimum graduation requirements, are they A-G eligible?

No. Please refer to this Graduation Pathways document for more information about college admission requirements.


Will the diploma earned by meeting the State minimum graduation requirements be different from the diploma earned by meeting the MHUSD graduation requirements?

The diplomas will be exactly the same, but the transcript will show specific courses taken.


How do students who were in 12th grade during the 2020-21 school year and did not graduate know if they are eligible under the State minimum graduation requirements? 

Class of 2021 non-grad students and their parents/guardians will be notified of this change to graduation requirements. School counselors and administrators will be analyzing transcripts and determining if the student is eligible to graduate under the state minimum credit and course graduation requirements of 130 credits. All class of 2021 non-grad students are being notified of their options. For any questions, please reach out to your School Counselor. 


What are the options for non-graduate students in the Class of 2021 (12th graders during 2020-21) who do not meet the State minimum graduation requirements to earn a diploma at this time? 

Students who did not graduate and do not meet the minimum requirement will have the option to complete required coursework through credit recovery options such as Cyber High or by completing a 5th year of high school. 


How will Class of 2022 students (rising 12th graders) be informed about their options under AB 104? 

At the start of the 2021-22 school year school counselors and administrators will meet with eligible incoming 12th grade students and their parent/guardian to provide information about the change in graduation requirements and create a plan based on individual student needs.